Monday, October 21, 2013

How To Read The Northwest Novels




Dear HAC:

          I'm about to order all five Northwest novels off Amazon, but I have a quick question. In which order should I read them? From what I gather, you wrote them out of chronological order by which the events happened.

          If I don't hear back I'll just read them in the order you wrote them.

          Thanks for all you do.

Wes

* * * * * * * *

Dear Wes:

There are two ways you can read the Northwest independence novels. The first is the order in which they were written, which is:

          The Hill of the Ravens
          A Distant Thunder
          A Mighty Fortress
          The Brigade
          Freedom’s Sons

          The second way you can read them is in what might be called “mythos order,” which is almost the exact opposite:

          The Brigade
          A Distant Thunder
          A Mighty Fortress
          Freedom’s Sons
          The Hill of the Ravens

          One thing: since The Hill of the Ravens was the first one written and certain things in the rest of the novel are different or missing, it can sometimes feel a little “light” or odd if you finish up with that one.

Nonetheless, for a new reader I recommend the second way.

          Just a reminder that Freedom’s Sons is now out in proper book form and can be purchased from Amazon.com at



-HAC














4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMO: Definitely read the Brigade first.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous heretic said...

I didn't like reading the Hill of the Raven's after the other novels, and there are several reasons for this. The Ravens is written as a mystery novel where Harold slowly leads you in by revealing bits and pieces of the history of the NAR which is spoiled when you already have read it. Second, its the perfect appetizer for the meat and potatoes novels because it leaves you wanting to learn more about the revolution; it's almost disappointing when you've already read that.
But I had a very good experience reading the Brigade before the others.

So I have to endorse the following order in contradiction of the guy who actually wrote it.

Hill of the Ravens
Brigade
Distant Thunder
Mighty Fortress
Freedom's Sons

Heretic

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Heretic said...

Ha.
I can't read my previous comment but i *hope I sad Distant Thunder before Mighty Fortress. That's a no-brainer but I'm a little tired.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the only novel one should read is "The Brigade". The ones before and after just basically repeat what TB already says - and says better.

For my money it's The Brigade - and ONLY The Brigade.

Heil Hitler!

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home