A Cop Comments On The Hughes Case
[It is an open secret that many police officers are sympathetic to the Nationalist cause, especially in the South and here in the Northwest. One of them sent this in, and in the spirit of honesty and fairness I think it should be posted. For obvious reasons, the officer's name has been redacted. - HAC]
For what its worth, here are some cop comments/perspective on the Jeff Hughes case:
1. Initial, and subsequent press reports on this type of thing are always wrong, to major or minor degrees.
2. This sounds like it could easily be a genuine "panic shooting" rather than an assassination. They are more common than you might think, especially with female officers......which may have a bearing on possible coverup strategy, depending on a number of things including department politics.
3. There will certainly be an in-depth investigation, which could radically change the look of the whole thing.
4. I have, in recent years, heard bad things about the current makeup of the RCMP, which I tended to discount due to my personal interactions with the agency in the past.
5. Anyway, I will be very interested in whatever portion of the investigative report is made public, and would be equally interested in anything else you might hear from sources there, even if it is nebulous enough that you do not want to put it out through the normal channels.