Refuting The Fundamentalists
Harold, every time I talk to my dad, either over the phone or in person, he tries to bring me back into the fold (I was raised in a Lutheran family). After recent events in occupied Palestine, I have had enough of this shit. This is a copy of an email that I just sent him:
"I demand a cogent answer to each of the following questions before you ever proselytize to me again:
1) Why do you and other evangelical/fundamentalist Christians (hereinafter referred to as "your ilk") claim to follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, and yet salivate with savage delight every time Israel incinerates, bludgeons, starves, bombs, deprives of water, shoots, forces into smaller areas, robs of land, crushes to death, and humiliates innocent Arab men, women, and children?
2) Why do you and your ilk favor Jews over Arabs when Jews, not Arabs, are overwhelmingly responsible for countering "family values" at every turn, with the production of violence-and sexually-laden television shows, publications, music, and motion pictures, and the promotion of homosexuality and other socio-political shifts that are anathema to you and your ilk?
3) Why do you and your ilk favor Jews over Arabs when Jews, not Arabs, file the bulk of lawsuits opposing public nativity scenes, even in cases where said nativity scenes are on a church's private property?
4) Why do you and your ilk express so much love for Jews and so much hatred for Muslims, when, according to the Talmud, Jesus of Nazareth is in a vat of boiling urine in hell, and according to the Koran, Jesus of Nazareth is a prophet?
5) Why do you and your ilk express so much love for Jews, despite Jews' central role in the rise of Communism?
6) Why do you and your ilk complain about the alleged persecution of Christians in Sudan, China, etc., and yet fall silent when Israel slaughters Arab Christians in places such as southern Lebanon?
Note: "Because Jews are God's chosen people" is not a cogent answer to any of these questions. A claim that a certain ethnic group is divinely chosen, in a document written by members of that ethnic group, has as much credibility as O.J.'s claim that he didn't do it. Anyone who doesn't have the brains to understand this simple, obvious truth is not worth my time.
I do not want to spend eternity with people who are fucked in the head to the degree outlined by these questions. Unless you provide cogent answers to these questions, I will remain convinced that your proselytizing is a waste of my time as well as yours."
Harold, I think that it's time that we undermine White Jesus freaks' support for the Jews with tough questions such as these. Would a modified version of this text make for a good Homeland flyer?