Friday, February 16, 2007

Coming Home, For Real

Dear HAC:

I guess I'm a slow learner.

I spent 4 years at Duke, working my ass off to prepare to apply to medical school. Then, after a period of major burnout, I decided to pursue laboratory research instead. I've always loved science, and I accumulated three years of research experience as an undergrad, which culminated in the publication of three papers in major scientific journals (I'm happy to send the links to anyone who wants them).

So, after graduating, I spent 3 months looking for research jobs in the pharmaceutical sector. I searched all over North Carolina, and interviewed repeatedly, but alas, I have nothing to show for all my work. Or, for that matter, the incredible amount of work I put into graduating with a 3.6 GPA as a Duke Biology major.

After all this work, all this toil and sacrifice and all the money spent by myself and my father, I have absolutely nothing to show for it. I can say without reservation that these past 5 years have been the worst 5 years of my life. I should have gone to a state school. It would have been a hell of a lot easier, and it would have saved my family about $150,000.

After all this, I'm working as a Papa John's delivery driver at $6.10/hr. And, to add insult to injury, I've yet to meet a single person here who could qualify as a reliable and trustworthy friend. Duke is riddled with leftist academic ignoramuses, and Durham is chock full of coke and heroin addicts. This place is a rotten shithole, and I don't know how I've managed to stay as long as I have.

But on the upside, my apartment lease is up on May 31st, at which point I am packing up a U-Haul and heading west. I plan to dump my stuff in a storage unit and stay with my mother in Salt Lake for a couple of months, after which I am moving to the Northwest. Portland is high on my list right now. I mean seriously, I don't know why no one wants to get up there. There are both beaches and *year-round* ski resorts within a 2-hour drive. There are tons of areas to bike and hike, as well as docks for boats and jet-skis. The summers are temperate, and you can always drive inland to get away from the winter rain.

North Carolina has brought me nothing but pain. I have cried myself to sleep way too many times because of this place. No more. I'm coming home, Harold... and I'm dead fucking serious about it.

-Clay

P.S. Feel free to include all parts of this email... I don't give a fuck if there IS some federal scumbag reading it.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you for a safe journey, friend...

8:46 PM  
Blogger caucasiannation said...

Clay,

You can be sure there are many out here who welcome one more showing some good common sense joining us in the NorthWest.

Chuck

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home